Monday, July 18, 2011

Why do people have such a bad view of people who are privileged?

Last month my parent's divorce was finalized and i was forced to move from Vermont to my mother's hometown in Missouri. We live in Kansas City, which is a really fun town and where we live is what i am used to so everything is good in that aspect. But because of the bad timing all of the private schools in the area cannot accept me and i was forced to go to a public school to wait till next year for private school. I enrolled myself into the local public high school and went into it trying to be as positive as possible. I only knew a few kids who went there because their parents work for my family's real estate development company. So, it was not completely awkward because i had a lunch table, people to have small talk with, etc. BUT one of the kids of the employees told half of the school about my arrival which of course had to entail the story about my father's affair with his assistant, my parent's divorce, and how i have never worked a day in my life. The first week was completely normal and no one commented on anything about my appearance or anything. But ever since this boy told everyone about what had happened people have been making fun of my clothes (preppy, think Brooks Brothers and Vineyard Vines), the way i talk (VERY NASALY), my car (mother's old Cayenne), and the neighborhood that i live in. I really try to just let it brush off of my shoulders, but it kind of sucks sometimes to have someone judge you because of where you come from. I did not judge them even if they are not as fortunate as i am, but that does not matter. So how should i try to deflect their judgment until the year ends (which is soon thank god)? I will tell you one thing i am so excited to have summer start so i can start playing tennis and make friends from the school i am going to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment